Matthew Noel is a seasoned litigator and his practice at the firm includes employment litigation and general litigation including personal injury and business claims. Matt defends all types of employment litigation, including race, national origin, age, marital status, sex, medical leave and disability discrimination, harassment, retaliation and whistleblower, as well as wage and hour cases. Matt has also successfully litigated a broad range of fraud, personal injury, wrongful death, defamation, nuisance and habitability cases on behalf of various non-profit and for profit organizations, companies and individuals. Matt’s client representation includes life sciences firms, auto retailers and affordable housing providers. Matt has extensive motion practice, deposition and trial experience and his recent litigation successes include:
- obtaining dismissal with prejudice in exchange for waiver of fees and costs where former employee of international auto retailer alleged wrongful termination, defamation, whistleblower claim, retaliation, hostile work environment, intentional infliction of emotional distress in case venued in Ventura County Superior Court.
- obtaining dismissal with prejudice in exchange for waiver of fees and costs where former employee of professional services firm alleged gender discrimination, retaliation and wrongful termination for case venued in Alameda County Superior Court.
- obtaining favorable settlement where former employee of professional services firm alleged gender discrimination, retaliation, hostile work environment and failure to pay wages for case venued in San Diego County Superior Court.
- obtaining favorable settlement on behalf of national leader in affordable housing in action venued in Alameda County Superior Court involving toddler falling from window and suffering catastrophic injuries after establishing comparative negligence and that client complied with all applicable local and state ordinances regarding installation and maintenance of subject window.
- obtaining permanent restraining order against employee who made credible threat of violence against coworkers at auto retailer in case venued in Santa Clara County Superior Court.
- obtaining permanent restraining order against employee who made credible threat of violence against colleagues at life sciences firm in case venued in Santa Clara County Superior Court.
- obtaining nominal settlement on behalf of residential care facility for underserved youth in wage and hour class and PAGA action where former employee wrongfully claimed failure to pay meal and rest periods after establishing exemptions applied to residential care facilities pursuant to Industrial Welfare Commission Order No. 5.
- obtaining nominal settlement on behalf of international auto retailer where former employee alleged whistleblower claim, retaliation, gender and marital status discrimination in arbitration matter after establishing that claimant failed to timely file DFEH complaint and obtain right to sue notice against proper entities.
- obtained favorable settlement on behalf of private day school in matter involving multiple plaintiffs alleging fraud and waiting time penalties against school for case venued in Alameda County Superior Court.
- obtaining defense verdict in contract dispute between Macy’s West Stores, Inc. and Kellermeyer Bergensons Services for matter venued in San Joaquin County Superior Court.
- obtaining defense verdict in Zeiad v. Rent-A-Center for catastrophic injury matter involving motor vehicle versus bicyclist where final demand was in excess of $3 million for matter venued in Alameda County Superior Court.
- obtaining summary judgment in premises liability action against property owner in Bush v. Dixon where plaintiff suffered catastrophic injuries in matter venued in Sonoma County Superior Court.
- obtaining summary judgment in Simball v. ABM for premises liability matter where final demand was in excess of $3 million in matter venued in San Francisco County Superior Court.
- obtaining summary judgment in negligence action against security company in Landes v. Glin, et al. in matter venued in San Mateo County Superior Court.
- obtaining summary judgment in Athas v. Zabit under the Privette line of cases for matter venued in San Francisco Superior Court.
- obtaining summary judgment in Porter v. Siller Brothers, Inc. under Cal. Civ. Code 846 for matter venued in Shasta County Superior Court Case.
- obtaining summary judgment in bad faith action against insurer in Thayer v. City and County of San Francisco for matter venued in San Francisco Superior Court.
Matt received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Arizona in 1997 and his JD from Golden Gate University School of Law in 2005.
Matt is a member of the California State Bar and is admitted to practice before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and United States District Court for the Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California. Matt also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable R. Barclay Surrick (United States District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania).
J.D., Golden Gate University, 2005
Witkin Award for evidence; Witkin Award for constitutional law; Witkin Award for privacy, and defamation & relational torts
Cali Award for criminal procedure
B.A., University of Arizona, 1997